A question that I get a lot with exercising is what workout to do? This one, that one? My answer is, pick something that will keep you motivated to move at least 6 days for 30 minutes or more. I do Beachbody Workouts such as P90x and insanity. I’ve also done walking, running, swimming, Pilates, yoga, jumping rope, riding the bike, tae bo, registering and going to gym, exercising at home, walking casually on the street. Whatever moves your body, just keep doing and work your heart and musles out. If you don’t know what that one or two things that keep you going and make you want to wake up at 5 am in the morning is yet, try different things till you find the type of workout you will enjoy doing. The most important thing is to do what you will enjoy the most with passion.
- Do not think of exercising only as means to burn calories and lose weight. Vary your workouts, do not keep doing cardio only. Also lift weights or do body resistance training which will strengthen your muscles. Remember what will burn your calories in the long run is not cardio, but it is the amount of muscles in your body.
- The more muscles you have, the more fat you will burn. When I first heard about this, this confused me a bit but as I tried it out, I founded out that it really worked.
- During the week, work out a different part of your body every day and do something that will change your hear rate. This way, you will not be using the same muscles every day and feel sore, your body will not get used to one type of exercise and become resistant. Your muscles will get stronger on rest day, the day after you work those muscles anyway. If you continue to work on the same muscle day in and day out, you are not giving the body to repair itself and get stronger.
- As I said in my post yesterday, the heart rate monitor can help you track your heart beat. Your heart beat should not be too high or too low. Do not go above anaerobic threshold. Stay at a fitness or aerobic zone. Your heart rate monitor will have instructions how to measure and track your heart rate zones.
- When you are exercising, be careful about what you eat before and after. If you are going to do cardio make sure to consume carbs before as long as it is not in excess amounts. After exercising, eat protein. After exercising, consuming proteins will renew your muscles. This is a different type of science. It is also important to do productive activities. Consult people around you that might have information about exercising and how to get the best out of your workout.
- Don’t forget to drink lots of water before and after workout. Dehydration will cause the heart to get exhausted unnecessarily.
- If possible get the fat percentage in your body measured before you start working your heart. When you are exercising it is important to get this measurement more than getting on the scale.
- Do not hesitate to workout when your children are around. They will get used to it after a while. Be a role model for them. If they are old enough, exercise all together like a game, they might in fact enjoy this a lot.
- Buy quality gear, don’t buy cheap stuff. Whatever you might be doing, whether walking, running or swimming, make sure your shoes are quality as well as your socks. Buy quality bras. Buy soft gel seat for your bike. All these will make you want to keep exercising and reap more benefits.
- Keep a diary to make sure you exercise regularly and if you can accomplish this than reward yourself with an hour of massage or pedicure/manicure. Doing Beachbody workouts with a predetermined schedule, helps me keep on track.
In summary, enjoy your workout sessions. If you don’t enjoy doing it at all, stop it and try out different thing until you find what you like. The joy (endorphins) you will get after a good workout is so valuable, you will see. Trust me.