Sleep music is an important part of my baby’s bedtime routine. After I recorded my own lullaby and soothing sounds album, I set up a CD/mp3 player and mini speaker system by my son’s crib. I use music to help him fall asleep and stay asleep. I use my old portable CD player and ancient mini PC speakers. Now there are many products that play CD, iPods and music players with built-in speakers which can even be attached to the crib.
Tips to set up your system to play soothing and relaxing sleep music:
- Use a player with a power adapter instead of batteries, because the batteries always die when you are about to put your baby asleep. Never fails.
- Keep the speakers away from the baby monitor. Otherwise, you’ll listen to loud baby music and lullabies.
- Cover any visible lights on the player or speaker with dark tape such as colored electric tape. Tiny red lights distract the baby in the dark.
- Keep the equipment setup away from your baby’s reach. That’s obvious, but I wanted to add here, just in case.
- Set the volume to a level where it’s high enough to attract baby’s attention but low enough so that it’ll not prevent him from falling asleep.
- Arrange the CD’s you play, so that you can easily pick and choose them. Make sure they don’t fall down or scratch easily.
It’s not surprising to me to see my son falling asleep with baby sleep music. Towards the end of my pregnancy he was very, very active inside and whenever he decided to have a dance party at my bedtime, I used to put huge headphones on my belly, playing calm, classical music and lullabies. He would calm down and let me sleep right away.
It’s also convenient that we don’t have to be super quiet outside of the bedroom because he has his background noise while he’s asleep. I sometimes let the CDs run only to the end of the tracks or sometimes put them on loop or repeat, depending on how wired or calm he is.
Baby Sleep Music CDs I and my son like:
- The Happiest Baby “Super-Soothing” Calming Sounds CD: This CD includes heartbeat sounds in 3 different speeds. it helped my son calm down before falling asleep when he was an infant.
- Transitions: This CD has a new age, instrumental music recorder over heart beating sounds and rhythm.
- Lovely Baby CD: We have all 4 CDs of this series. We love them all.
- Golden Slumbers: A Father’s Lullaby
- Lullaby: A Windham Collection
- Music for Babies 4 Album Set for Calming Relaxation and Deep Sleep